I work with a variety of surface decoration techniques on textiles. I have a working knowledge of many techniques including but not limited to dyeing, batik, fabric printing, felting, shibori, weaving, crochet, knitting and embroidery. I teach many of these techniques.
Watch for postings of upcoming Classes and Workshops.
Silk Scarf Dyeing Create 3 personal scarves as completed wearable pieces
Wet Felting Japanese Nuno textile scarves.
Shibori Silk Dying I Indigo Shibori Scarf
Indigo Shibori Indigo shibori yard goods- 3 yards
Needle Felting Wall art
Needle Felting II Make a handbag out of your favorite(ruined) wool sweater
Painting Art Fabric Art cloth suitable for wall quilts, hand bags, yardage
Sunsational Prints Prints using elements from nature setting dyes with the sun.
http://www.papodanjo.com My childhood friend Isabel Pinto does all the photography for this catalog. Pictures are taken in Portugal.
Contact
carlapowellstudio@gmail.com
Sublimation
My work consists of disperse dyed and sublimated fabric. In this process, I paint my images or colors on paper with disperse dyes. Once the dyes are dry, I sublimate the design onto fabric, in essence “printing” the fabric with the image I created.
Sublimation is a chemical process that transfers the dye by transforming it directly from a solid state to a gaseous state and then back to a solid state, without ever becoming a liquid. This process is enabled with heat and pressure. I use a heat press at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and 4,000 p.s. i. of pressure to transfer the dye to the fabric.
The fabrics necessary for this process are extruded fabrics. These are polyester based fabrics, specifically synthetic fabrics which are plastic based. These fabrics do not take dyes as do the traditional protein or cellulose fibers because the dyes simply “slide” off the polyester/plastic. Sublimation allows the disperse dye to attach itself to the polyester fibers and the fibers become permanently printed. The dyed fabric is very colorfast too and can withstand a fair amount of sunlight exposure.
Sublimation is commonly used in commercial applications. Event banners, hotel banners that are on fabric are often sublimated. In my art I apply the technology of sublimation but my fabric art pieces are printed many times, often adding different colors and tones until I am satisfied with final result. These pieces are all one of a kind. The final fabric artwork cannot be manually duplicated. They are “monoprints”.
I subsequently use the sublimated fabric either alone or in combination with other fabrics, some of which I have created either with free motion embroidery or hand woven on an 8-harness floor loom. I like the juxtaposition of the very traditional hand made cloth with the vivid synthetic printed and dyed cloth. The process of creating the cloth is as important to me as is the final outcome of my work.